Friday 6 May 2011

What's the deal with blue?

Morning television has never been the same for me since I discovered 'The Circle'. I have laughed, cried and even voted for the show and the presenters in the recent 2011 TV Week Logies awards (you go girl Chrissie).

Anyway, they recently had a segment about a young female trying to live blue. I was captured as she explained that for her being green was hard, but living blue was simply about making better decisions in everyday living.  Ka boom. I googled and found http://thebluemovement.com/The_Blue_Movemement_UP6U.html and http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/apr/18/birthofthebluemovement, and, like that I was ready to make a change.

In sum Blue takes the environment out of the green movement and replaces it with human consciousness and how simple choices we make as consumers can alter the affect we have on the world's resources. My favourites are reusing shopping bags, turning off electrical items (including being on standby) and buying local. It is also the inspiration for my worm farm, compost heap and aspirations for a functional (to be developed kitchen garden). For me, another beautiful aspect to living blue was that I could relate to it as easily as the next person. I don't need to look the part to care, or to feel guilty that I use a computer with high speed Internet. I just need to go about my day making simple changes acknowledging that I am taking from this world so I will put back what I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment